Friday, October 26, 2007

Grandpa Mathew

I've never really lost anyone I've been close to before. My grandfather past away this week. I haven't been as emotional as I thought I might be. I think because the last time I saw him on Tuesday, he was breathing so hard it was a relief to know that he didn't have to struggle anymore. My favorite memories of my grandfather: "Checking the beans" grandpa would take me to the farm to check on the crops and would let me steer the old truck. I was really little, so it was a huge deal to take control of the wheel. =o) Picking sweet corn. Grandpa would let me drive the truck 3 feet at a time to pick up the piles of picked sweet corn. I looked forward to it every year. picking apples at the farm. Making the apple sauce wasn't quite as fun, but I loved the orchard. Having a drink of pop with grandpa after mowing their yard. Listening to his one liners like: "if you think you're doing it all in a marriage, you might be doing half" or in reference to turkey bacon "they don't do that to the good turkeys." I love you grandpa and will miss you so much. Leonard E. Mathew, 88 REMINGTON -- Leonard E. Mathew, 88, of Remington, died at 12:26 a.m. Thursday, Oct. 25, 2007, at White County Memorial Hospital in Monticello. Born March 20, 1919, in Wolcott, son of the late William D. and Elda Granger Mathew, he graduated from Saint Joseph Prep School in Rensselaer. He served in the Army Air Corps during World War II in the European theater with the 8th Air Corps and the 352nd Fighter Squadron. He was a staff sergeant and crew chief of aircraft maintenance. His marriage was to Carmela F. "Mela" DeLisa on Nov. 25, 1945, and she survives. Mr. Mathew farmed north of Wolcott most of his life. He had resided in Remington since 1987, moving from Wolcott. He was a member of Sacred Heart Catholic Church, Remington, a 61-year member of the American Legion Post 280 and Tri-County School board member for 17 years. Surviving with his wife are children, Mary Ann Sy (husband: Denny) of Homer, Ill., Ellen Atkinson (husband: Don) of Remington, Connie Chamberlain (husband: Bill) of Wolcott, Joyce Tiefel (husband: Joe) of Clay City, David Mathew (wife: Nancy) of Kenai, Alaska, Annette Bahler (husband: Ed) of Lafayette and Lee Mathew (wife: Doris) of South Bend. Also surviving are 16 grandchildren and 8 great-grandchildren. Visitation will be held on Sunday, Oct. 28, 2007, from 4-8 p.m. (EST) at the Stitz Funeral Home, Remington, with Rosary service at 4 p.m. Mass of Christian Burial will be held on Monday, Oct. 29, 2007, at 10 a.m. (EST) at the Sacred Heart Catholic Church, Remington, the Rev. Thomas Fox officiating. Interment Sacred Heart Catholic Cemetery with Military Rites. In lieu of flowers, memorial contributions to the Tri-County Educational Fund.

2 comments:

L & J Gutwein said...

Thanks An, This was nice to see. -J

Anonymous said...

Thanks Ann
--Clint